Everything Good is Bad for Youdebragalant | March 25, 2011
If you and your loved ones are still alive, it’s only because you haven’t done anything dangerous like get a shot or ride an escalator. Here’s our weekly roundup of the everything you didn’t know was potentially lethal. Which either means you have to expand your angst … or that everything you have been worrying about is perfectly safe.
1. You know those alcohol wipes they give you before you get a shot, just to make sure you don’t get an infection? A recent CDC test found two thirds were contaminated with bacteria.
2. Giving your kid a good musical education? Think again. Used woodwind instruments are crawling with germs, which can cause staph infections and even brain abscesses.
3. And by the way, keep the little ones away from escalators.
4. Sayonara, Akita. Radiation released in a nuclear disaster gets in pet’s fur and can’t be cleaned, which is why dogs and cats had to be abandoned by Chernobyl evacuees.
5. Thought the sharp instruments were all you had to worry about during a pedicure? Turns out the UV lights they use to dry your nails at the salon can cause cancer.
6. You’re 2.7 times more likely to have a heart attack during or after sex, according to a new study.